Q: Why the voltage is stepped up before transmitting electricity over a long distance?
A: Stepping up the voltage can reduce the current in the cable. This reduces the power loss in the cable during transmission.
Problems Involving Electricity Transmission.
- Power Loss During Transmission.
- The high voltage transmission cable is very dangerous.
- The cost of the cables is high.
- Charge leakage may happen between cables and earth.
- Pylons may be struck by lightning.
- Pylons and cables may be struck by light aircraft.